[Samba] Windows 8.1 client not able to see and connect to samba server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 06:25:43 MST 2014

On 19/11/14 13:09, Eike Hinderk Jürrens wrote:
> On 19.11.2014 12:53, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 19/11/14 11:33, Eike Hinderk Jürrens wrote:
>>> Hi Marc,
>>> thank you for your response.

>>> The samba server is configured as standalone and should only server as
>>> file server in a workgroup. The output of testparm -v can be found here:
>>>
>>>       http://pastebin.com/gpvYTQcv

>>> Which client do you mean?
>>> The failing Windows 8.1 client is able to resolve public domains but not
>>> the hostname of the samba server to its IP.

>>> /var/log/samba/log.nmbd contains no errors and covers the last three
>>> days incl. my tests from yesterday.
>>>
>>> /var/log/samba/log.smbd contains errors about CUPS which where fixed by
>>> disabling print stuff at all using
>>>
>>>      printing = bsd
>>>      printcap name = /dev/null

>>> What else could I provide?
>> How about the smb.conf that is on your machine, not 'testparm -v'
> http://pastebin.com/2dDBLU5w <- I removed all lines containing comments.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kind regards,
> Eike
>

>> Rowland

>>> Kind regards,
>>> Eike

OK, from that smb.conf, a user that is not known to the server should be
able to connect as a guest user, but only to the temp share.

Can the failing client ping the samba server by name ?

Is the failing client a member of another workgroup or domain ?

Is the firewall on the failing client blocking port 139 ?

Rowland