[Samba] Windows 8.1 client not able to see and connect to samba server

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Nov 19 05:59:56 MST 2014

Hi Rowland,
Yes i've seen that and even is the server is running standalone, dns resolving still needs to work.
( wel would make me happy if it does ;-) )
If he even cant ping the server by hostname.
maybe a mixed up with fixed ip/dns settings in the W8.1 pc and/or user without password.

( speculation mode on )
so the router gives dhcp, the router send ISP DNS ipnumbers.
logical ping hostname does not work but internet does work.

the other pc's are know in the network, maybe fixed ip, and with fixed ip, arp/netbiosname is know in the router.
( speculation mode off )  ;-)

so i suggest change  in global.

security = USER
security = share

and add to the share:
    guest ok = yes

now it should accept every connection.
if not add also : map to guest = bad password

but i dont know if he want security at all on that server.

and now access the server by  open explorer and type  \\IP_of_server\
and report back.

Louis