[Samba] Tunning samba for better read performance

Daniel Carrasco Marín d.carrasco at ttu.es
Wed Nov 19 02:21:20 MST 2014

Hi,

Of course CPU speed and Drive speed are bottleneck but the download
speed is very slow even for a low end PC, maybe you have the same
problem i had.

What version of samba do you have? and, do you have any "audit" addon in
samba conf? (full_audit:...).

I got similar problem in a server with samba 3.5.6, upload speed was OK
but download speed was very slow, and the problem was audit addon. LAN,
HDD, and CPU usage was near to 5% but download speed was very slow.

Greetings!!

El 19/11/14 a las 10:09, L.P.H. van Belle escribió:

> What mainboard is this? aka a bit more info on the hardware.
> It is a nas mainboard or something like that.
>
> Im getting 115Mb/s read and write  from a windows 7.
> ( asrock E350 AMD board )
>
> 1Gb interface does not mean it can reach the max speed, cpu is also important in this,
> so for that we need more hardware info.
>
> I did a few of these :
> http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow
> 1 is the most important.
> 2 stops auto update, so dont do that.
> 3) possible, what you want.
> 4) not really needed.
> 5) what you want.
> 6) This can be a point to check, make sure you have the latest NIC drivers.
>
> and no changes at samba side for me. ( only the defaults from install )
>
> I get these speeds with : ( tested, and what is see in windows )
> samba 3.6.6 ( Debian samba ) stand server		115MB/s
> samba 4.1.6 ( Ubuntu samba ) stand server 	108MB/s
> samba 4.1.13 ( Ubuntu sernet samba ) AD DC server	112MB/s
>

> Louis

Daniel Carrasco Marín

Técnicas Territoriales y Urbanas, S.L.
C/ Zurbano 92, 2º, 28003 Madrid
Tfno.: +34 91 571 93 46 (ext. 148) # Fax: +34 91 571 58 72