[Samba] Windows 8.1 client not able to see and connect to samba server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Nov 18 13:37:31 MST 2014

Hello Eike,

Am 18.11.2014 um 14:05 schrieb Eike Hinderk Jürrens:
> My Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 client are able to find the server and
> connect to the shares but the Windows 8.1 client of a colleague is not
> able to find and connect to the server.
>
> The failing client is able to ping the IP of the samba server but when
> connecting to it, I get the following error message:
>
> 0x80004005 unspecified error
>
> Searching for this error results in some hits that requires to change
> three registry entries under
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters]
> DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode 1
> DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired 0
> DWORD RequireSecureNegotiate 0
>
> All three do not solve the problem.

If your other Win 8.1 client didn't require these changes, it can't be
the cause on the other one. ;-)

Registry changes are only required, if this is an NT4 domain - not an
AD. And it's only required for joining the NT4 domain:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Registry_changes_for_NT4-style_domains

But it's not that easy to help. You didn't gave much information about
your environment.
* Is this a Member/PDC/DC/Standalone?
* DNS resolution on the client works?
* Errors in the logs?