[Samba] samba4 4.1 wiki/explanation: dcerpc endpoint servers

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:34:44 MST 2014

On 18/11/14 20:22, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 18.11.2014 um 10:54 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>> As far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be any documentation, but
>> you also mention member & standalone servers. You only get the
>> "dcerpc endpoint servers" line in smb.conf if you provision samba4 with
>> samba-tool, whilst it appears that you can provision a member or
>> standalone server, trying to provision either of these will not actually
>> work, they will appear to work, but won't. I have updated the AD DC
>> Howto page:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Provisioning_The_Samba_Active_Directory
>> to reflect this.
> Should we really explain in the _DC only_ documention, options for
> Member and Standalone servers and that it's not possible to provision
> both? It has nothing to do with the DC.
>
> I prefer to keep the documentation small and simple and just explaining
> the options, the documentation is for. The Member Server documentation
> already says, that you can't provision a Member. I think this fits more
> to the topic.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Hi Marc,
I understand what you are saying and in an ideal world, I would tend to
agree with you, but this is not an ideal world and people are trying to
provision member servers. Baring this in mind, I thought it was a good
idea to add the note to the '--server-role' parameter. It isn't a lot,
only a couple of sentences and if it stops one person trying to
provision a member server, then I think that it is worth it.

Rowland