[Samba] Wrong charset on NTFS volumes (ext4 works fine)

Daniel Carrasco Marín d.carrasco at ttu.es
Tue Nov 18 04:19:31 MST 2014

Hi, first of all i'm sorry for my english.

I've a little problem with samba 3.6.6 and NTFS volume. I've mounted an
USB drive in NTFS format on my server, and all works fine (characters
are OK, i can create folders with accents or ñ like "camión",
"muñeca"...), but when i try to share that drive through samba, all
special characters look wrong and i can't create any folder with that
characters...
I've a lot of shared folders in ext4 and all works fine, so i think that
the problem is NTFS system.

I've tried some options like "dos charset", "unix charset" and "display
charset", mounting that drive with "ntfs-3g -o iocharset=utf8", CP850...
but nothing works.

Someone knows how to fix this?

Thanks!!

Daniel Carrasco Marín

Técnicas Territoriales y Urbanas, S.L.
C/ Zurbano 92, 2º, 28003 Madrid
Tfno.: +34 91 571 93 46 (ext. 148) # Fax: +34 91 571 58 72