[Samba] MacOSX 10.9.4 with Samba 4.1.11 and permissions weirdness

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Mon Nov 17 15:59:40 MST 2014

On 17 November 2014 22:04, Ralph Böhme <rb at sernet.de> wrote:
> sorry, no. But have you filed a bugreport? Looks like a bug to me.

No bug report yet.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong in expecting
that Samba-server could override any SMB client.

On 18 November 2014 02:35, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> Well the client can always overwrite the initial permissions
> set by the server, so I'm guessing that the client creates
> the file (Samba uses create mask etc.) then sets the permissions
> as it wishes (Samba obeys).

And this is what I was worried about.  We have a massively diverse
office with many different operating systems brought in from outside
our business, and Samba plays an integral part to our integration.  I
need a way for foreign machines not configured by us to obey server
restrictions and ensure file permissions are sane.

Currently MacOSX clients are being very troubling, choosing whatever
permissions they like (and quite arbitrarily at times).  I need a
server-side way to clobber this stupidity.

As mentioned, Samba3 allowed me to do this, with the "force" options.
As of Samba4, the smb.conf(5) man page states (and I quote):

       force security mode (S)

           This parameter has been removed for Samba 4.0.0.

           No default

This is a massive problem for us.

Do I go down the path of "bug report" and/or feature request on
bugzilla?  Happy to do so if that's the best option.

-Dan