[Samba] Samba 4 Restrict User Create

Greg Zartman gzartman at koozali.org
Mon Nov 17 15:43:58 MST 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
> wrote:

>  Samba does not use dnsmasq, the internal dns server does not have
> anything to do with dnsmasq. There are only two DNS servers supported by
> samba, the internal DNS server and Bind 9. You need to use the 'nsupdate'
> command to create and update client dns records, will this work with
> dnscache/tinydns ??

Yes, but the Samba tried to get dnsmasq to provide this as opposed to
writing their own DNS:
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2010q1/003552.html

I was just saying that they'd have been better off if they would have
looked at dnscache/tinydns, but that's probably under the bridge now.  Yes,
dnscache/tiny DNS would have provided the support Samba needs and it
wouldn't be has heavy as BIND.

> When anybody has DNS problems, it usually turns out to be them trying to
> use an unsupported DNS setup. I will repeat, in case you haven't got it
> yet, without a proper DNS server, Active Directory will not work correctly,
> if at all.

Andrew Bartlett said it's perfectly acceptable to put dnscache in front of
Samba DNS:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-February/090461.html

In practice, dnscache is a very thing layer between client machines and
Samba DNS.

Greg

--
Greg J. Zartman
Board Member

Koozali SME Server

SME Server user and community member since 2000