[Samba] Samba 4 Restrict User Create

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 16 02:57:57 MST 2014

On 16/11/14 07:36, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Have you investigated the possibility of using different mail
>     programs that are known to work with AD and are still under
>     development, as far as I can see, qmail hasn't been updated since 2007
>

> I would love to see us move to postfix. Brick-by-Brick, you know.
> It's a pretty major undertaking to replace services like qmail in a
> distro like SME Server because of all of the integration and
> configuration automation.  This Samba4 upgrade is resulting in some
> pretty serious gutting of several aspects of SME Server.
>
> It's not so much that qmail isn't compatible, because we use dovecot
> and qpsmtpd on top of it, but it is just difficult to deal with some
> of the setup automation when a user is created outside our API.
>
> There's more than one way to skin a cat, so we'll figure out something.
>
> Greg

You can easily get dovecot to obtain its user auth from AD, using
standard windows attributes, postfix is the same, you do not need to add
anything else, can I introduce you to the concept of SSO ? You would
just need to create the conf files for postfix & dovecot so that the
users mail dir is created automatically. If you want to know how it
works, investigate iRedmail and the various postings about getting it to
auth via AD.

Rowland