[Samba] Samba4 UNIX password sync

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 10:27:35 MST 2014

On 14/11/14 16:49, Rob Mason wrote:
>   Hi List,
>
> I am trialling a small Samba4 AD server supporting 10 users (running
> fine).  I also have exim smtp and dovecot imap running on the same
> Debian Wheezy box.  Simplistically, what I would like to achieve is for
> an AD user account to also authenticate to imap and smtp using the same
> credentials. I previously used Samba3 'unix password sync' to ensure
> that any domain users were automatically created a unix account.  This
> doesn't seem supported any more?

In the 'Good old days' you had Unix users & windows users and if a
windows user connected to a Unix box, they also had to be Unix users,
this is where 'unix password sync' came in. Now, with a Samba4 AD DC,
you just have domain users, you need to find out how to get exim &
dovecot to auth to AD, a quick google turned this up:
https://inutility.net/exim-dovecot-mailserver-with-active-directory/

If you are going to use S4 AD, I would suggest that you follow the
advised route and just use the AD server for auth and install a separate
member server.

Rowland