[Samba] samba-tool dns serverinfo

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Nov 12 15:10:20 MST 2014

Am 12.11.2014 um 21:41 schrieb Günter Kukkukk:
> Am 12.11.2014 um 21:25 schrieb Rowland Penny:

>>> Follow this recent thread https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2014-November/103475.html
>>> When using
>>>       samba-tool dns serverinfo server
>>> against a windows server, with that patch all should be displayed ok.
>>> Note, that the dns server infos from samba servers are always wrong atm! ('255.255.255.255 (53)')
>>
>> Is this with the internal DNS server ?, only reason I ask is that it works for me (but I use bind9)
>>
>> aipServerAddrs              : ['192.168.0.3 (53)']
>> aipListenAddrs              : ['192.168.0.3 (53)']
>>
>> Rowland
>>
>>> (some pieces are not implemented yet)
>>>
>>> So use "netstat ......" to see what IPs/interfaces samba is using.
>>>
>>> Also have a look at your smb.conf regarding
>>>
>>> interfaces = ......
>>> bind interfaces only = ....
>>>
>>> Cheers, Günter
>>>

> oh right, i forgot to mention that it will _not_ work with
> samba servers, when IPv6 addresses are used, or when samba binds
> to both IPv4 and IPv6.
>
> It should play no role whether the internal dns server or the DLZ module is used.
>
> Cheers, Günter

To give some more info about the current samba state of these aip* DNS-entries:

At some time in the past Microsoft had to implement IPv6. Some former (IPv4) restricted
dns data structures had to be expanded - to be more flexible.
Obviously these changes also made it into "serverinfo":

>From older version which could only hold IPv4 entries:
        struct IP4_ARRAY *aipServerAddrs;/* [unique] */
        struct IP4_ARRAY *aipListenAddrs;/* [unique] */
        struct IP4_ARRAY *aipForwarders;/* [unique] */

to recent implementation with even mixed IPv4 and IPv6 entries.
        struct DNS_ADDR_ARRAY *aipServerAddrs;/* [unique] */
        struct DNS_ADDR_ARRAY *aipListenAddrs;/* [unique] */
        struct DNS_ADDR_ARRAY *aipForwarders;/* [unique] */

One can check this with samba-tool

samba-tool dns serverinfo server --client-version=w2k
samba-tool dns serverinfo server --client-version=dotnet
samba-tool dns serverinfo server --client-version=longhorn

... and will probably get some python errors.

At least "inet_ntoa()" - which works only with IPv4 - must be adopted to inet_ntop(),
which allows for both IP versions.

Some additional cleanup in the samba sources is needed here.

Cheers, Günter