[Samba] Samba_internal dns Ubuntu 14.04.1LTS

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Nov 7 07:14:14 MST 2014

> When using Ubuntu 14.04 as the Samba4 ADDC what is the correct settings?

Install debian 7.5 and samba from backports :-D

LoL.. .almost correct Rowland..

Install debian 7.7 and samba from sernet :-P
imo sernet samba is the best on debian.
i had problems with samba 4.1.11 from backports when joining an extra DC.
i missed some dns entries, should be fixed in the next 4.1.12 or 13 on backports.
4.1.13 is in Debian Jessie, so should not take long anymore..

># Need to keep 127.0.1.1 entry or DNS fails
>127.0.1.1 mysrvr03.mycomapny.biz wdnsrvr03
>192.168.16.208 mysrvr03.mycompany.biz wdnsrvr03

This all has to do with an incorrect setup of ubuntu.
* not your fault but ubuntu's.

The ubuntu installer is just not correct, and i can get the installer to make it fail on every boot,
even when the install is 100% correct.

You want to try,
get a ubuntu server, choose expert install, expert Command line install.
choose minimal install, only ssh-server. nothing else.
Install your server, at dhcp ip, press cancel, and now you can enter a static ip.
resume the install..

and at last, reboot, and you end up like.
1) slow on network configuring, always waiting, and when fully started, no ssh logins are possible.
	google for it, lots of people experiance this.
2) you have lost your usb keyboard. same here.. google for it. ( a fix i to put the usb hid in modules before grub install )
Well this always happens to me if i install ubuntu server when i want a minimal install.
:-((

This since ubuntu 12.10 and up. in 12.04 this worked fine.
and this is why i dont like ubuntu, i did report this, but they just wont fix it.

When i do exacly the same on a debian install, it works... always.
when you use the "standard" ubuntu install you server works fast, but lots extra's is installed which i dont like.

so get the resolving correct on you ubuntu and it wil work fine.

based on the asumption that you dont run a gui.. and you work from CLI.
apt-get remove --purge resolvconf dnsmasq
fix /etc/hosts
	127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain
	ip_server  FQDN-server	hostnameserver

fix /etc/resolv.conf	point nameserver to or 127.0.0.1 or the server ip.
test hostname -s
test hostname -d
test hostname -f
test hostname -y  ( which probely wil fail )
 	fix 1 , setup nis, found in the list
	fix 2 , give the kernel the local domain info.
	see /etc/sysctl.conf     #kernel.domainname = example.com

reboot and try again.

i did the same on my home server ( ubuntu 14.04 with Kodi on it and samba 4 from sernet )
and when setup as it should, the samba installs works fine witout any hassle.
When i have the time i'll make a howto for it.

Greetz,

Louis