[Samba] It is secure to transfer roles and demote DC?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Nov 6 12:13:44 MST 2014

Am 06.11.2014 um 19:16 schrieb Federico Alberto Sayd:
> The server that I want to demote is also a file server, I want preserve
> the file server functionality but demote as DC. That is why I don't want
> to have to put offline the server forever or to reinstall it.

You can't demote a Samba DC to a simple member server (yet).

The demote removes the DC from the AD. Nothing else. Then you have to
manually remove the databases and replace your DC smb.conf with one that
is for a member server (the shares configs you can of course move to the
new smb.conf). Then you have to join the domain as member server.

But why not keeping the host as a DC, if it should still serve files?

Regards,
Marc