[Samba] new users not seen with getent passwd

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 6 03:06:49 MST 2014

On 06/11/14 09:22, Stefan Kania wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I migrated a samba3 with openLDAP to Samba 4 (sernet package 4.13). I
> can see all migrated users on all DCs and fileservers with "wbinfo -u"
> and "getent passwd" and all informations for a single user with
> "getent passwd <username>" and "wbinfo -i <username>".
>
> Now, after migration, if I create a new user, I can see the new user
> in the list of "wbinfo -u" on all systems. BUT I can only see the
> information with "wbinfo -u <newuser>" and "getent passwd <newuser> on
> the two DCs but not on the fileserver.
> The new user also not appears in the list when in use "getent passwd"
> on the fileserver.
> If I do a "getent passwd <newuser>" I get a empty line.

OK, how are you creating the new users ?

Also, lets see if I understand what you are saying:

If you run 'wbinfo -u' on ANY Linux machine in the domain, you get a
list of domain users, amongst which is your new user.
If you run 'wbinfo -u <newuser>' on the DC, you get the users info.
If you run 'wbinfo -u <newuser>' on the fileserver, you get nothing.

Have you added 'winbind' to the passwd & group lines in /etc/nssswitch.conf

What OS is your DC running on, can you please post the smb.conf from
your DC.

Rowland