[Samba] Bind Samba4 services on different IPs?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 01:49:03 MST 2014

On 04/11/14 02:43, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Greg, I understand your problems, but I feel that you and the
>     other members of your team need to have a good look at how Zentyal
>     works. Zentyal is for all intents & purposes what the Centos based
>     SME is, but based on Debian & samba4. Remember this is opensource
>     and it would be foolish to try and re-invent the wheel. I am not
>     saying that you should blatantly steal their code, but how it
>     works is a totally different thing.
>

> I've definitely looked at Zentyal.  The work with developing a fully
> integrated Samba solution into a distro like SME Server (or Zentyal)
> isn't just making a service like Samba work, it's making it work
> within the API and mechanisms that make the distro turnkey.  It's
> quite alot of work.   Zentyal is a good check on what works and
> doesn't, but it doesn't help me in terms of quite alot of the other
> SME Server integration.  For example, we run all of our services
> supervised with djb daemontools.  This means all of the default Samba
> run scripts get disconneted and we write special run scripts for Samba
> under daemontools.   This kind of thing just goes on and on.
>
> My progress so far: http://wiki.contribs.org/Samba4_Development
>
> I appreciate all of your good advice and patience.
You are still not listening, you have in the past used daemontools, you
may (probably will) have to stop using it. Put it this way, Samba4 AD DC
equals a windows AD DC, would you try and change how a windows server
works ??

I think that you should also take note of how long it took Zentyal to
update from S3 to S4, it was over 2yrs.

Rowland