[Samba] Bind Samba4 services on different IPs?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:30:26 MST 2014

On 03/11/14 20:07, Greg Zartman wrote:
> it's honestly not me.  I'm sharing my work with other developers on
> the SME Server team and some are having a hard time of letting go of
> our current configuration, so I'm having to defend what I'm doing,
> which is basically the suggestions you and others have made.   Some on
> the team are asking why we can't keep dnscache in front of Samba4 DNS
> and I'm saying it can't be done.  They are worried Samba's DNS can't
> stand up to heavy DNS traffic and will fall over.
>
> My setup right now looks like this and it seems to be working fine;
>
> [root at testbed service]# netstat -plunt | grep :53
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.2:53 <http://127.0.0.2:53/>
>  0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN  17485/dnscache
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53 <http://127.0.0.1:53/>
>  0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN  17479/samba
> tcp        0      0 192.168.0.67:53 <http://192.168.0.67:53/>
>   0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN  17479/samba
> udp        0      0 127.0.0.2:53 <http://127.0.0.2:53/>
>  0.0.0.0:* 17485/dnscache
> udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53 <http://127.0.0.1:53/>
>  0.0.0.0:* 17479/samba
> udp        0      0 192.168.0.67:53 <http://192.168.0.67:53/>
>   0.0.0.0:* 17479/samba
>

> I was just trying to cover my bases.
>
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/11/14 19:09, Greg Zartman wrote:
>
>         Can you bind the various samba services on different IPs?
>
>         For example:  Bind the DNS on 127.0.0.2 and everything else on
>         127.0.0.1/LAN <http://127.0.0.1/LAN>
>         IP?
>
>         Seems to me that the interfaces command is all or nothing.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Greg
>
>     Hi Greg, why are you trying to make things hard for yourself ? I
>     suppose that it might just be possible, but why bother, it is
>     something else to go wrong and you will be running samba4 in a way
>     that is different to everyone else.
>
>     You need to stop thinking in terms of samba3 and make SME work
>     with samba4 and not the other way round.
>
>     Can I suggest that you look at how the "opposition" works, Zentyal.
>
>     Rowland
>     --
>

> --
> Greg J. Zartman
> Board Member
>
> Koozali Foundation, Inc.
> 2755 19th Street SE
> Salem, Oregon 97302
> Cell:  541-5218449
>
> SME Server user and community member since 2000

Greg, I understand your problems, but I feel that you and the other
members of your team need to have a good look at how Zentyal works.
Zentyal is for all intents & purposes what the Centos based SME is, but
based on Debian & samba4. Remember this is opensource and it would be
foolish to try and re-invent the wheel. I am not saying that you should
blatantly steal their code, but how it works is a totally different thing.

Rowland