[Samba] Multihomed AC DC Server and subnets

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Mon Nov 3 12:33:42 MST 2014

On 11/3/2014 8:18 AM, Federico Alberto Sayd wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am currently planning to divide our network in smaller subnets. Our
> central server is a Samba AD DC File Server also acting as DC.
>
> My plan is subnet our current network, add a new interface for each
> subnet in the  Samba File Server and configure it to listen in all new
> interfaces.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1 - Does this multihomed configuration have any drawback, specifically
> because AD relies so much on DNS to work, and hosts in each subnet
> need resolve to the right ip of the multihomed server?
To make your life easier, it's better to use a separate router to handle
your new subnets.
So you don't need to change anything on your AD DC.
BTW, you have to have a router to do the routing.

> 2 - Do I need to configure new sites for each subnet from "Active
> Directory Sites and Services" and install a new DC in each subnet?
N/A

> 3 - Can you suggest a way to avoid that pcs placed in a different
> subnet other than the File Server can reach the File Server without
> routing (The File Server will have a interface in each subnet)?. I
> assume that pcs reach the File Server by name and a name only resolve
> to a unique ip.
You have to do routing between subnets either via a router or your AD DC.
I don't think it's a good idea using the AD DC as a router.
Does routing affect the file sharing?