[Samba] R­e: D­­C2 d­enie­s ac­cess­­ whe­­­n sa­­ving ­thro

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 2 07:14:28 MST 2014

On 02/11/14 12:34, ?icro MEGAS wrote:
>> I am now getting a bit confused, just which script are you using ?
>> Marc's which just uses rsync, or Louis's that uses unison and rsync ?
>> Rowland
> Hi Rowland, I am using the rsync+unison for bidirectional sync way. I did it like described here...
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_Bidirectional_Replication#Manually
>
> .. on the manual way.
>
>> NIS/UNIX attribute uid=502 ????? I hope you mean 'uidNumber=502'
> Yes of course, my fault, sorry. uidNumber=502 of course.
>
> Mirco.
OK, I have been taking a look at the webpage you posted and I am a bit
perplexed,  the cron line is this:

*/5 * * * * root  /usr/bin/rsync -XAavz --log-file
/var/log/sysvol-sync.log --delete-after -f"+ */" -f"- *"
/var/lib/samba/sysvol root at DC2:/var/lib/samba  && /usr/bin/unison  &>
/dev/null

This, to me, means:
every 5 minutes, the 'root' user, runs rsync and copies the directory
(and only the directory) '/var/lib/samba/sysvol' to '/var/lib/samba' on
the second DC. If this completes successfully, then root runs unison to
sync what is in '/var/lib/samba/sysvol'.
This is what I cannot really understand, why use the rsync command at
all, as it would seem that unison uses rsync itself to do the copying,
why not just run unison alone to do everything, there is probably a
reason for it, but it escapes me.

Also there is this line in the unison conf file:
confirmbigdeletes=false

After reading the unison manual, I think this should be
'confirmbigdel=false'

Try running the command manually in a terminal, without '  &> /dev/null'
on the end, you may get an error message

Rowland