[Samba] DNS information, again...

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Sat Nov 1 06:18:09 MDT 2014

Alright, I believe something is very wrong here, but I have no idea what
it is. DNS is not updating to my Linux servers running Samba, DNS, and
DHCP. However, on a virtual domain using Server 2008 R2 and WIndows 7
clients, DNS gets updated. The following was done from a domain
controller on the domain in question. I also ran "samba_dnsupdate
--verbose" and it claims that no updates are required.

root at dc02:~# host balcony.kigm.local
balcony.kigm.local has address 192.168.2.32
root at dc02:~# nbtscan 192.168.2.0/24
Doing NBT name scan for addresses from 192.168.2.0/24

IP address       NetBIOS Name     Server    User             MAC address
192.168.2.106    BALCONY          <server>  <unknown>

As you can see, this is a conflict. The correct address ends in 106
today, but it may be 1 tomorrow thanks to DHCP. So is there something
extra I need to do to get WIndows 7 clients to update DNS entries? This
is causing a few problems with mapped drives and such.