[Samba] Samba DNS + caching dns on same box

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Nov 1 04:25:22 MDT 2014

Hello Greg,

Am 01.11.2014 um 08:59 schrieb Greg Zartman:
> What is the best way to do this without using bind?   Can I bind samba to
> the local host and then the caching dns to the local ip?

You can't bind just the internal DNS to localhost and not Samba itself.
And it makes no sense to run a DC, that listens just on localhost. :-)

If you would use BIND9_DLZ, then you could configure BIND to just listen
on localhost, while Samba does on all interaces. But in that case, you
can use BIND at all. ;-)

I would run the caching DNS on a different host and forward requests for
AD zones to your Samba DC. That's the easiest.

Or you do something freaky (it's not a recommendation!): ;-)
- Configure your caching DNS to listen on a different port than :53
- Configure an iptables rule, that forwards all incomming traffic, that
comes through your NIC for port :53 to the other port your caching DNS
is running on.

Regards,
Marc