[Samba] adding nt4 server to samba4 AD

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Fri May 30 09:44:59 MDT 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 6:34 AM, mourik jan heupink - merit
<heupink at merit.unu.edu> wrote:
> So, before trying all kinds of stuff...: Is this (adding an nt4 server as a
> 'regular client') still supposed to work with recent samba4?

No personal experience but just a note that NT4 is NetBIOS based and
there you probably need a WINS server running for NT4 to locate the
DC.

I have a somewhat similar scenario: was able to take an old NT4 PDC
running Exchange, virtualize it (to no longer be dependent upon the
ancient hardware), have a virtualized Samba3 install take over the PDC
duties, demote NT4 to a member server and allow it to continue running
Exchange. And I've been wondering ever since what would happen if
"upgraded" the Samba3 install to a Samba4 AD, would the NT4 Exchange
member server just continue to work? Maybe with the aforementioned
DSClient?

Chris