[Samba] DNS problems

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 30 07:13:12 MDT 2014

On 5/30/2014 8:53 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 30/05/14 13:46, Steve Campbell wrote:

>>> And addressed to Rowland not Steve
>> And addressed to Rowland AND Steve
>>
>> Let me clarify.
>>
>> cnpapers.net is our zone for our servers. We have many servers in
>> this zone, including this samba DC. The entire zone lives on our
>> public  DNS server(s) which serves the world asking about cnpapers.net.
>>
>> We created this samba server within the zone cnpapers.net, so the
>> internal samba server must think it has some rights to resolve at
>> least part of the cnpapers.net zone. I'm hoping I haven't
>> underthought this and hope if a request is made about one of the
>> other servers in cnpapers.net, it will forward on to 192.9.200.53. It
>> appears that it doesn't forward on the request.
>>
>> I'll make the change and see what happens.
>>
>> Thanks all (easier than trying to keep track of who is responding)
>>
>> steve
> Oh Dear, I take it you missed this:
>
> If your website is example.com, the domain of your AD should be a
> subdomain of it, like samdom.example.com (or ad.example.com,
> corp.example.com). Avoid using example.com internally.

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>
> Now I am not a DNS expert, but I think that your domain should be a
> totally separate entity from your main domain otherwise you could have
> problems.
>
> Rowland

So when we provision, we should have used cnfsp.cnpapers.net instead of
cnpapers.net.

We then would use in resolv.con
search cnfsp.cnpapers.net
nameserver 192.9.200.71

Or maybe made up a domain separate from cnpapers.net (for example
cnpapersdc.net)?

It's certainly not working the way it is now. If I remove the
"nameserver 192.9.200.53" from resolv.conf, which is the intermediate
DNS server, I can't find other cnpapers.net servers with nslookup (and
probably dig). If I add that back, other servers resolve.

Sounds like we should re-provision?

steve