[Samba] DNS problems

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 30 06:46:06 MDT 2014

On 5/30/2014 8:38 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:

> On 5/30/2014 8:36 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:

>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, are you saying resolv.conf should be:
>>>
>>> search cnpapers.net
>>> nameserver 192.9.200.71
>>> dns forwarder = 192.9.200.53
>>>

>>> steve
>> Too quick on the send:
>>
>> Just to be clear, are you saying resolv.conf should be:
>>
>> search cnpapers.net
>> nameserver 192.9.200.71
>> dns forwarder = 192.9.200.53
>>
>> or just rely on the smb.conf to have
>>
>> dns forwarder = 192.9.200.53
>>
>> steve
>>
> And addressed to Rowland not Steve
And addressed to Rowland AND Steve

Let me clarify.

cnpapers.net is our zone for our servers. We have many servers in this
zone, including this samba DC. The entire zone lives on our public  DNS
server(s) which serves the world asking about cnpapers.net.

We created this samba server within the zone cnpapers.net, so the
internal samba server must think it has some rights to resolve at least
part of the cnpapers.net zone. I'm hoping I haven't underthought this
and hope if a request is made about one of the other servers in
cnpapers.net, it will forward on to 192.9.200.53. It appears that it
doesn't forward on the request.

I'll make the change and see what happens.

Thanks all (easier than trying to keep track of who is responding)

steve