[Samba] CentOS 6.5 + Samba 4.1.6 - Variable Substitution (smb.conf)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 28 18:41:47 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 13:00 +0200, Pascal Blétard wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> So, I come to you because I have a little problem when setting up my domain controller based on CentOS 6.5 and Samba 4.1.6.
>
> Everything works well, except for one small detail, which in my case blocking me.

>  would like to automatically generate the home directory of the user
> during the first connection (from Win or Linux), but the problem is that
>  for some unknown reason, the variable substitution does not work in the
>  smb.conf
>
> I tested various alternatives for the user name, for example, but none works.
>
> Here is my smb.conf
>

> [global]
>
>         workgroup = ADS
>
>         realm = ADS.LOCAL
>
>         netbios name = BOOS17
>
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>
>         dns forwarder = 172.16.130.7
>
>         server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb

You are using the ntvfs file server.  This does not support variable
substitution, nor prexec or many other features.  It is supported, but
not recommended for new installs for exactly this reason.  Use s3fs (the
default) and you can expect more success

I hope this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett