[Samba] Automaticaly create User-Home directories for NFS

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Wed May 28 06:01:30 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-28 13:52, Daniel Thielking wrote:
> Yes I see the user on all my Linux clients.
> In which smb.conf should I add the two lines? Clients or Server?
> Maybe I'm stupid but where shall I add the pam_mkhomedir.so ..., what do
> you mean with 'pam common-session'?

pam_mkhomedir creates a user's homedir on the first login, which you'll
need to register with PAM to be used.

For Debian and derivatives you can put http://pastebin.com/Ag6wd4Z5 into
/usr/share/pam-configs and activate it with pam-auth-update. Redhat
based distributions probably have a similar mechanism.

In the end, your PAM configuration needs to have the line
> session	required	pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022

active for whatever service(s) you need to authenticate your users.

> Auszubildender Fachinformatiker für Systemintegration
> RWTH Aachen
> Lehrstuhl für Integrierte Analogschaltungen
> Raum 24C 313
> Walter-Schottky-Haus
> Sommerfeldstr. 24
> D-52074 Aachen
>
> www.ias.rwth-aachen.de
>
> Email: Daniel.Thielking at ias.rwth-aachen.de
> Phone: +49-(0)241-80-27771
>   FAX: +49-(0)241-80-627771
>
> Am 28.05.2014 13:44, schrieb Daniel Müller:
>> Winbind is running you see the ads users on your linux box?
>> First I think you need in your smb.conf:
>> template shell = /bin/bash
>> template homedir=/xxx/yyy/%U
>>
>> in your pam common-session something like that:
>>
>> session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022
>>
>> I think this could be the direction.
>>
>> Good Luck
>> Daniel
>>
>> EDV Daniel Müller