[Samba] Question about <Your-Server> on the wiki page

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue May 27 13:46:33 MDT 2014

Hello Steve, hello James,

Am 27.05.2014 21:33, schrieb lp101:
>> On the page in the wiki
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS_Administration
>>
>> What is supposed to be represented by <Your-Server> in the line:
>>
>> samba-tool dns add <Your-Server> samdom.example.com demo A 10.99.0.55

I replaced <Your-Server> with <Your-AD-DNS-Server-IP-or-hostname> in the
HowTo.

> IP address of your DC.
>
> Sorry your DNS server but if you are using the internal DNS of Samba
> then your DC.

To be a bit more specific:

It's always a DC. You can't have the AD DNS on a different host than on
a DC, because both, the internal DNS and BIND_DLZ, require to access the
database files directly.

But not every DC requires to have a DNS installed. You need at least one
DC with DNS in your AD (two DC, both with DNS, are recommented for
failover).

Regards,
Marc