[Samba] Totally missing the mark here

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue May 27 06:03:59 MDT 2014

Hello Steve,

Am 27.05.2014 13:51, schrieb Steve Campbell:
>> smbclient -L localhost -U%
>> Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

Does Samba listen on localhost, too (respectively 0.0.0.0)?

> The wiki indicates I need to remove my smb.conf file. Is there anything
> else needed to re-provision (keep in mind the original may have been
> completely botched).

Remove the smb.conf and everything below /usr/local/samba/private/
(there are the databases of your AD and other stuff created during the
provisioning).

_BUT_: If you re-provision, you will loose all changes happend since the
provisioning/classicupgrade! E. g. if machines had changed their
passwords, they won't be able to login any more and have to re-joined.
So think twice if you really want to start from scratch. :-)

> I'm still wondering where the secrets.tdb gets
> created since "Using Samba" seems to indicate I need to create it
> manually, as I recall.

'Using Samba' is 12 years old! So be carefully. A lot changed since that
time. Expecially with Samba AD.

# ls -la /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.?db
-rw------- 1 root root 1286144 27. Mai 13:26
/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root     696 27. Mai 13:34
/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb