[Samba] Can I authenticate with windows UPN names using winbind? If so how?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:41:17 MDT 2014

Hi Linda,

First, thank you for your response.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Linda W <samba at tlinx.org> wrote:

> I.e. Since user at hostname with many utils,  = "using user 'user', do
> something on hostname.  I.e. the '@' can't be part of a username as it
> implies the "object"
> host that the command acts upon.

Sorry  I wasn't clear. I want to be able to authenticate using the UPN
(user principal name) which has the format username at tld
currently I am able to login in with domain\username (aka the netbios login
name) which uses the Windows SamID field for the username portion of the
address.

Here's a very brief description of the difference
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa380525%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
As I may not be making myself clear.

> Please forgive me if this is really, not what you
> want, and you really want the '@' separator.
>
> Cheers!

I would like to use the '@' seperator.

Thanks!