[Samba] I've gone full circle now, let's start over

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:38:29 MDT 2014

It depends on the size of your location and the clients in question.

Assuming , when talking about mapping shares, you mean from Windows
clients.      If you have more than 5 windows workstations, the Windows
workgroup approach (i.e. no centralized accounts) is a pain to
manage.      The domain approach with a domain controller is usually the
way to go.      A Windows domain controller can be a Windows 200x Active
Directory Domain Controller, as Samba 4 domain controller (which mimics
a Windows 200x DC) or a Samba 3.x DC (with is more like a NT4 DC.)

I have been running Samba 3.x at my location for several years.     I am
using an LDAP backend, and this is the same LDAP backend that is used
for authenticating Linux workstations and other services.         If you
have an existing LDAP infrastructure I would look at Samba 3.x     The
big downside of Samba 3.x is that it looks like major development work
is stopped on it.     However, from what I can tell, it is NOT easy to
tie Samba 4 into an existing LDAP structure.