[Samba] SysVol questions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu May 22 08:25:48 MDT 2014

On 5/22/2014 10:13 AM, Sven Schwedas wrote:
> On 2014-05-22 16:07, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> Where on the system will sysvol be placed? Is it something in smb.conf
>> that determines this?
> It's inside /var/lib/samba. I'm not sure how you can change this
> directory (compile-time option? There's nothing in the smb.conf).
>
>> We have two identical servers. Each will be a mirror of the other and
>> I'm hoping that when one isn't available for whatever reason, the other
>> will take over. I think I understand that everything but sysvol can be
>> replicated, and that sysvol will need an rsync-type copy to be replicated.
> Yes. We're using lsyncd for this.
>
>> These two servers will be the only servers involved in the Samba/Domain
>> system. The impression I get, though, from most things I read is that
>> the AD should be on another third machine.
> Not quite. The Domain Controller_s_ shouldn't serve any other role. You
> can (and should) have redundant DCs, but file shares etc. pp. should be
> provided by (equally redundant) member servers (both for security
> reasons, and because the DC code of samba has a lot of rough edges for
> those use-cases, e.g. an incomplete winbind implementation).
So is this to say our set up here should have a minimum of 4 servers? I
got the impression from the wiki instructions that I could set up shares
and the AD stuff all on one server if I didn't have replication. Of
course, I want replication, hence two servers.

I hope you all realize how confusing all of this is to a new Samba/AD
guy. Samba itself isn't so bad, and I've used it for single shares, but
throwing in that Windows AD/DC stuff makes it a hundred times more
complicated.

Thanks for the help.

steve