[Samba] SysVol questions

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu May 22 08:22:15 MDT 2014

On 22/05/14 15:10, Steve Campbell wrote:

> On 5/22/2014 9:49 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 22/05/14 14:35, Steve Campbell wrote:
>>> I still haven't installed Samba, as I'm still in the planning
>>> stages. Again, I'm new to Samba, and I discover our Windows pro
>>> isn't quite up on the newer stuff since it's been years since he ran
>>> domains.
>>
>> Firstly, either your 'Windows pro' is lying to you, or doesn't
>> deserve to use the word 'pro', Active Directory has been about since
>> 2000 at least and NT domains before that ;-)
>>

>>> I'm a little confused about this thing called "SysVol". Reading up
>>> on it, it appears a real important part of an AD, but I don't see
>>> how or when it's created.
>>
>> Sysvol is where AD stores GPO's and scripts and will be created when
>> the domain is provisioned.
>>

>>> Can someone give me a clue as to when/how it's created? During the
>>> provisioning, perhaps?
>>>
>>> Which brings me to wonder the following:
>>>
>>> On our current Netware system that is being replaced, we have
>>> multiple volumes which we will use on our future Samba stuff. When
>>> we create these volumes, which I assume will just be directories and
>>> turned into shares, is the directory tree important? Do these
>>> volumes have to be on the same partition? Can each volume be a
>>> separate partition? Do these reside under the SysVol partition or
>>> can they be anywhere?
>>>

>> You can put directories to share anywhere, you just have to create
>> the entry for the share in smb.conf and enter put the path to the
>> share into the entry i.e.
>>
>> [sharename]
>>                  path = /path/to/directory
>>                  read only = No
>>
>> Just dont put the shares into Sysvol.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

>>> Thanks for any insight.
>>>
>>> steve campbell
>>
> I'm the one using the word 'Pro', and it's been ages since he's done
> anything with this stuff. He only mentioned he'd used domains in the
> military. So he may not be fibbing.
>
> Again, where does the sysvol get created and how do I control that
> placement?

It all depends on how you install samba4, if you download the samba4
tarball, unpack and compile this , it will end up in
'/usr/local/samba/', on the other hand, if you install via a package
manager, it is likely to end up in '/var/lib/samba/'

The only way to control where it goes, is to compile it yourself and at
configure, tell it where you want it to end up, but you will need to
read up on that.

Rowland