[Samba] SysVol questions

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu May 22 07:49:39 MDT 2014

On 22/05/14 14:35, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I still haven't installed Samba, as I'm still in the planning stages.
> Again, I'm new to Samba, and I discover our Windows pro isn't quite up
> on the newer stuff since it's been years since he ran domains.

Firstly, either your 'Windows pro' is lying to you, or doesn't deserve
to use the word 'pro', Active Directory has been about since 2000 at
least and NT domains before that ;-)

> I'm a little confused about this thing called "SysVol". Reading up on
> it, it appears a real important part of an AD, but I don't see how or
> when it's created.

Sysvol is where AD stores GPO's and scripts and will be created when the
domain is provisioned.

> Can someone give me a clue as to when/how it's created? During the
> provisioning, perhaps?
>
> Which brings me to wonder the following:
>
> On our current Netware system that is being replaced, we have multiple
> volumes which we will use on our future Samba stuff. When we create
> these volumes, which I assume will just be directories and turned into
> shares, is the directory tree important? Do these volumes have to be
> on the same partition? Can each volume be a separate partition? Do
> these reside under the SysVol partition or can they be anywhere?

You can put directories to share anywhere, you just have to create the
entry for the share in smb.conf and enter put the path to the share into
the entry i.e.

[sharename]
                  path = /path/to/directory
                  read only = No