[Samba] SysVol questions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu May 22 07:35:01 MDT 2014

I still haven't installed Samba, as I'm still in the planning stages.
Again, I'm new to Samba, and I discover our Windows pro isn't quite up
on the newer stuff since it's been years since he ran domains.

I'm a little confused about this thing called "SysVol". Reading up on
it, it appears a real important part of an AD, but I don't see how or
when it's created.

Can someone give me a clue as to when/how it's created? During the
provisioning, perhaps?

Which brings me to wonder the following:

On our current Netware system that is being replaced, we have multiple
volumes which we will use on our future Samba stuff. When we create
these volumes, which I assume will just be directories and turned into
shares, is the directory tree important? Do these volumes have to be on
the same partition? Can each volume be a separate partition? Do these
reside under the SysVol partition or can they be anywhere?

Thanks for any insight.

steve campbell