[Samba] How to replace a win2003 DC controller

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon May 19 12:43:08 MDT 2014

Hello Lorenzo,

Am 19.05.2014 20:27, schrieb Lorenzo Faleschini:
> you mean that running "samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset" will copy the
> sysvol from the primary dc or that is a command to run after the cp?

No. You copy the SysVol content from your Win DC manually (cp, or
whatever) to the SysVol share of your Samba DC.

Then you do the sysvolreset on the Samba DC, so that all ACLs on the
SysVol share are set to their defaults. If you Windows DC had on its
SysVol other ACLs, you can add/change them afterwards. But the
sysvolreset makes sure, that everything that is needed to work, will be
there.

> this wiki info is valid only for a 100% Samba4 environment right?
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_Replication

Yes.

> so, just to confirm: I can't push SysVol ACL changes from windows to
> linux using a tool like Cygwin rsync?

You can. But it won't sync the ACLs.

Regards,
Marc