[Samba] Auth fail getpwuid(3000007) failed

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon May 19 05:49:52 MDT 2014

On 05/19/14 10:09, Leander Schäfer wrote:
> I still don't understand this dependencie of winbind and PAM ...

I'm using pam_winbind to authenticate users into web applications:

> # cat /etc/pam.d/httpd
> # Apache
> auth    required        /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so debug
> account required        pam_unix.so

> this
> sounds very strange ... I never had to activate winbind in order to get
> a auth working with

Samba's authentication (e.g. connecting to a share from Windows client)
works without winbind or PAM, if that's what you mean.

> passdb backend = tdbsam

I don't have this line in /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf, but in the docs it
says it's the default.

> Also this is required in comination with tdbsam:
>
> SAMBA_SHARE_PASSWORD="YourSecret"
> SAMBA_SHARE_USER="YourPAMUser"
>
> (echo "${SAMBA_SHARE_PASSWORD}"; echo "${SAMBA_SHARE_PASSWORD}") |
> smbpasswd -a -s "${SAMBA_SHARE_USER}"

Sorry, why would I need the above? What should it achieve?

> Can you explain your special setup and why you need winbind?!

Actually I don't think my setup is so special... in fact I've been using
similar setups for many years with Samba 3.

As I said before, I only use winbindd through pam_winbind to have the
same credentials for shares, web apps, mail, etc...

I knew there was pam_smbpass (which I never used) to authenticate
directly to smbpasswd, but I know no equivalent for tdbsam.
If there's another way I don't know about, I'd gladly try it.

  bye & Thanks
	av.