[Samba] MS Remote Desktop issue related to Samba 4 ?

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Tue May 13 08:55:42 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I am currently struggling with an odd MS Remote Desktop issue which
might be related to our Samba4 AD (version: 4.2.0pre1-GIT-d7c22d5
domain/forest-level 2008_R2) setup.

We are unable to connect to Win7 machines (all available latest patches
installed) via RDP after they have been joined to the domain. We have
made sure, that RDP is enabled and the firewall exceptions are in place.
We actually tried with firewall turned off, also. When trying to connect
with an AD account we get to the welcome screen but not further. The
physical screen of the machine does not get locked. When doing the same,
using a local admin account we can successfully log in via RDP.

Does anybody have an idea what could be the cause of this issue ?

I tested the same at home in my small samba4 domain, without any
modified GPOs, and face the same issue.

Thank you very much for your kind help

best regards

Andreas