[Samba] Suggestions please about what I need.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon May 12 09:40:56 MDT 2014

On 5/12/2014 11:24 AM, Stéphane PURNELLE wrote:
> -----------------------------------
> Stéphane PURNELLE                         Admin. Systèmes et Réseaux
> Service Informatique       Corman S.A.           Tel : 00 32 (0)87/342467
>
> samba-bounces at lists.samba.org wrote on 12/05/2014 14:33:36:
>
>> De : Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>
>> A : samba at lists.samba.org,
>> Date : 12/05/2014 14:47
>> Objet : [Samba] Suggestions please about what I need.
>> Envoyé par : samba-bounces at lists.samba.org
>>
>> I hate to use that "noob" word, but in this case I think it might be
>> proper.
>>
>> Our company is getting ready to get rid of Netware and start using
>> Samba. It will require that users log in and by doing so, have a login
>> script map drives to particular drive letters base on either their user
>> or group.
> Samba can do this
>

>> I've been administering Centos servers for quite a while. I have no
>> problem with managing the Linux servers, but Samba appears to be a
>> completely unique subject on its own, much like Sendmail, etc. I've read
>> "Using Samba", and about anything else I can get my hands on, including
>> as much of the "Howto" matter on the Samba site. I still have no idea
>> how complex of a setup I need (AD or not, things like that). I don't
>> think we'll be doing things like installing licensed software from the
>> server, mostly just as I stated above.
>>
>> For now, I'm fairly certain I'll use the Sernet installation. I'll be
>> retiring soon, and I want to make things as easy as possible for
>> whomever takes over. It'd be great if whatever I end up with has some
>> form of GUI for managing users, groups, and shares, but not necessary.
>> The person managing our Netware will be the one assuming this Samba
>> responsibilty. No Linux experience, so the Gui would make it nice as
>> they learn the ropes of LInux.
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions here for what level of installation I need.
>> I'm sure once I get something installed, I can determine if it's the
>> right way or not. Starting over is not off the table, but it'd be nice
>> to get a clue before starting. Seems the more I read, the more confused
>> I get. So much to Samba and the way it can be set up. I'm not much of a
>> Windows server admin, which is perhaps the biggest problem.
>>
> Now, it depend what you want to do.
> Just a file-server ?
>
> Do you want a have a DC (Active Directory) or a PDC (NT4-Domain) too ?
>
> If you need a good and easy tools for monitoring samba service and data
> replication, you can look LifeKeeper.
>

>> --
Not being the Windows guy here, I'm not sure whether a DC or PDC/BDC
would best server us. To tell the truth, I'm not sure what either really
is or does. I just know that while trying to follow the examples, I was
under the impression that a DC was the same thing as the PDC.

I was trying to figure out whether I needed users to be part of a
Workgroup or a Domain.

I'm hoping the Windows guy can clarify this as we install this together.
It's not looking easy by any means.

steve