[Samba] Suggestions please about what I need.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon May 12 06:33:36 MDT 2014

I hate to use that "noob" word, but in this case I think it might be
proper.

Our company is getting ready to get rid of Netware and start using
Samba. It will require that users log in and by doing so, have a login
script map drives to particular drive letters base on either their user
or group.

I've been administering Centos servers for quite a while. I have no
problem with managing the Linux servers, but Samba appears to be a
completely unique subject on its own, much like Sendmail, etc. I've read
"Using Samba", and about anything else I can get my hands on, including
as much of the "Howto" matter on the Samba site. I still have no idea
how complex of a setup I need (AD or not, things like that). I don't
think we'll be doing things like installing licensed software from the
server, mostly just as I stated above.

For now, I'm fairly certain I'll use the Sernet installation. I'll be
retiring soon, and I want to make things as easy as possible for
whomever takes over. It'd be great if whatever I end up with has some
form of GUI for managing users, groups, and shares, but not necessary.
The person managing our Netware will be the one assuming this Samba
responsibilty. No Linux experience, so the Gui would make it nice as
they learn the ropes of LInux.

I'm looking for suggestions here for what level of installation I need.
I'm sure once I get something installed, I can determine if it's the
right way or not. Starting over is not off the table, but it'd be nice
to get a clue before starting. Seems the more I read, the more confused
I get. So much to Samba and the way it can be set up. I'm not much of a
Windows server admin, which is perhaps the biggest problem.

Thanks for any pointers.

steve campbell