[Samba] Migrating AD server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu May 1 13:32:11 MDT 2014

Hello,

Am 30.04.2014 20:21, schrieb Listas de Correo:
> I have two servers with Samba 4 and Active Directory,, both servers
> are configured as Domain Controllers for the same domain; I also have
> configured sysvol replication via rsync.
>
> Everything is working great, but I need now to change the first server
> I've installed (the primary domain controller) with another physical
> server. My idea to do this is:
>
> 1. Install samba 4 in the new server
> 2. Join the new server to the domain
> 3. Change the fsmo roles that are running in the old server to the new server
> 4. Modify sysvol replication scripts
> 5. Remove the old server from the domain
>

> My question is: are these steps correct or am I missing anything?

If the new server is having the same name and IP, you could transfer the
databases directly if it's the same plattform. If not, then the steps
you've listed are neccessary.

> Also, how do I do step 5) ?

# samba-tool domain demote

I'm not sure, how clean the demote process currently works. We had a few
postings in the past about problems, because of remaining entries, that
had to be removed manually.

If I have time, I can try the demote process on the weekend in my test
environment and give a feedback.

Regards,
Marc