[Samba] Just stuck

Peter the Zoron p.allsopp1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 09:16:49 MDT 2014

I have read everything I can understand as a first time Linux user, but
have not been able to set up my Zorin Samba file server (4.1. ) I have
days invested and have learned much about this non-MS OS, which is part
of the objective, but am not progressing to a solution.

The objective is to have a Samba standalone (home) server on WORKGROUP
with windows clients (Macs later).

The Zorin server showed up in the network list on Zorin, but not on
clients. When I hovered with the mouse, there was a popup that said
smb///<path to shared folder>. That is no longer happening. Zorin server
shows in the router client list and I can ping it from client. Could it
have lost membership in WORKGROUP? From the various boards, it looks
like the smb.conf is set up right, and testparm does not show errors,
but instead of workgroup = WORKGROUP, the service definition says idmap
config * : backend = tdb. The Samba team docs say this is OK for a
standalone server. The Samba GUI share looks good, but when I right
click properties on the shared folder, the share is unchecked and I get
the old error 255 message.

Here is my current smb.conf file.

[global]

     security = share

     workgroup = WORKGROUP
;    server string = samba 3.6.18
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest ok = no
;    guest account = nobody

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     browseable = no
     path = /var/spool/samba
     printable = yes
;    guest ok = no
;    read only = yes
     create mask = 0700

[share]
     comment = Server
     path = /srv/public
;    browsable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     read only = no
     create mask = 0755

The semicolons appeared from some unknown process along with comments
after I edited the file.

Any idea of what I might be missing? I really appreciate any help.