[Samba] Additional Domain controller settings

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at thursbygarden.org
Sun Mar 30 13:36:22 MDT 2014

Apols,

I have been running samba in a VM using the sernet binaries on debian7, so it starts on boot.

rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
rm -R /var/lib/samba/private/*
rm -R /var/lib/samba/sysvol/*

But forgot to stop samba, but all seemed OK. Infact might of only needed a smbcontrol all reload-config or at least a Samba restart.
Just rebooted and all was well.
I have had no problems with the above with re-provisioning, domain join need a restart.

With rfc2307 is this my noobness or do you need that for unix schema inclusion into the M$ LDAP?
As yeah I want both as SSSD with Linux clients is a definite option.

Then just my other noob question, do M$ use file GUID's for replication?
I presume they do as much of there replication techniques hark back to early jet methods of GUID's and time stamps.
I was pondering and thinking why haven't those guys got sysvol replication sorted as it was probably easier than the directory methods.

As far as I am aware there are only available in NTFS, file UUID's or GUID's and if the above is true thats a bugger. :)
You could use different methods but then that rules out replication to M$.

File system is a file system to me, if you use Samba then maybe we should use NTFS for the system?
Bet that goes down like a lead balloon.