[Samba] Linux machine to join Samba Domain

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 29 12:04:58 MDT 2014

On 29/03/14 17:46, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:08 PM, vikas <c.vikas at altechtechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> thanks for reply..
>>
>> As far as ldap is concerned i am pretty new to it still learning/reading
>> much stuff on that. I have installed samba using
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>>
>> Samba 4.1.5 installed on centos 6.3 64bit bare server
> Stop here. *WHICH* bundle or distribution of Samba 4.1.5? Because I've
> got to say, there are so many options and variants available in the
> build process, and potential overwrites or conflictes of RPM published
> dependencies, that you really need to look at some RPM based package
> if you're working with CentOS or RHEL or Scientific Linux or Suse or
> whatever.
>
> And the closest you're going to find to *that* is my build tools over
> at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/.  Otherwise, and if you're
> not yourself interested in doing Samba development, save yourself a
> lot of pain and stick with the operating supported versions of the
> packages
>
>> After reading some stuff i figured out that ldap is integrated into samba
>> (which i don't understand in a broader view like how this is working, if
>> someone knows please tell). I just installed phpldapadmin thought that i can
>> see ldap database but no success. (just for information)
> Also keep in mind. Account management is in LDAP, authentication is
> normally via Kerberos, for both Samba and for Active Directory. But
> getting the Kerberos part to play nicely on CentOS 5 or 6 is awkward,
> because Red Hat chose to use the "Heimdall" Kerberos library, not the
> MIT, and Samba 4.x is using the
>
>> my setup is pretty simple just to get authenticate through samba4 whether
>> linux or windows but for linux i am still trying to get things done.
>>
>> thanks
> Perhaps you should double check the notes at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Samba4 about Kerberos library
> issues between Red Hat based operating systems and Samba 4.
I think you missed the post where he said that he installed by following
the Samba wiki howto, if you are saying that this is wrong as far as
Centos 6 is concerned, would you like to join the new documentation team
and update the wiki?

I do agree that the OP needs to post more info about what he has done,
post his conf files etc and also just what he
thinks that his samba server should be able to do.

Rowland