[Samba] Samba 4 Slow Performance

Michal Boruvka boruvka.michal at seznam.cz
Thu Mar 27 19:52:43 MDT 2014

On 08/05/2013 08:05 AM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 07/27/2013 08:20 AM, Kinglok, Fong wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> After using samba 3 for two years, I have just spent totally one week
>> finishing setting up a samba 4 file system in my working school.
>> There are about 200 computers, 80+ staff, 1000 students and 10
>> printers.  The AD was properly setup, mandatory profile and one GPO
>> policy (which is printer download trust) is effective for all users.
>> Logon script is for mapping four shares and 10 printers from the file
>> server.   Also, I have setup two additional DCs (with AD replication
>> and DHCP server) for two other subnets in the hope to speed up the
>> logon process.
>>
>> The benefits of Samba 4 are clear: more robust file serving
>> (supporting the windows ACL), speedy printing (with the help of point
>> and printer driver) and administration of AD through with windows
>> remote admin tool.  However, logon speed is just far from good.
>>
>> In the days of Samba 3.6, users can logon the system within 20
>> seconds, even with more than 80 users logon in the same time (two
>> classes students login during computer lesson).  Now, with only one
>> user logging in (who is me), it takes nearly 60 seconds to do the
>> logon.  I have tried disabling drive and printer mapping in logon
>> script and applying a registry hack (note 1) shorten the profile
>> waiting time in windows 7 client side but it makes no difference in
>> logon speed.
>>
>> I have taken a look on the document in sambaXP 2013:
>> http://sambaxp.org/fileadmin/user_upload/SambaXP2013-DATA/thu/track1/Matthieu_Patou-Smaller_Faster_Scalier.pdf
>>

>> and two thread in samba-technical mailing list:
>> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-January/089755.html
>> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-May/092332.html
>>
>> It seems that samba team is doing some great work in spotting the
>> unindexed search in LDB as one of block in performance.  Certainly, I
>> can wait for the new version 4.0.X for the boost of performance.
>> However, I am in deep panic when lessons are going to be launched on
>> 1st September 2013 here in Hong Kong.  Are there any patches so that I
>> can a hot / dirty fix?
>>
> I don't think the problem is in the database in your case, can you do a
> tcpdump trace starting just before the client is logging on and stopping
> it after the logon (ie the 60 sec or so), see
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets on how to the tcpdump
> capture.
>
> With this trace we should be able to see where is the delay.
> Matthieu.

Hello,
i have simillar problem. I use SL6.5, ext4, samba-4.1.6. I have migrate
from samba3 with classicupgrade. On samba3 i didnt use ACLs. After
migrate i turn on ACLs on all filestems in fstab. After migrate to
samba4 was very slow user logoff. I didnt set any acls on filesystems. I
find some people have acls in their profiles in all files, but large
majority of people have acls only in changed files. Then I use setfacl
for all people and now is very very very slow all. After that I turn off
acls in fstab and all is in normal. Can you tell me what I have wrong
with acls?
Michal Boruvka