[Samba] winbind bug?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Mar 27 16:55:10 MDT 2014

On 27/03/14 21:28, Doug Tucker wrote:

[SNIP]

> It wasn't until just now with this  3.6.9 version that I ever ran
> into any issue and it still is a very isolated issue.

You have to understand that Samba was and largely still is reverse
engineered.

This means that over time as the developers knowledge and understanding
of the SMB protocol has improved (and Microsoft documents it now) Samba
has become more and more compliant with the actual SMB specification. To
add to the mix so have the Windows clients, along with the introduction
of higher protocol levels in more recent versions of Windows.

This means that stuff that happened to work in the past can and does
break in later versions because it turns out that what allowed it to
work is a violation of the SMB specification in some way and has now
been fixed.

Heck I have even had my Samba servers break because there was an upgrade
on the clients from Office 2003 to Office 2010. The interaction of
Office 2010 on a save is radically different from almost all other
programs on Windows. I should know I spent hours wading through level 10
debug logs working out why it had all gone horribly wrong.

Don't even get me started on Apple and it's SMB client, other than they
should hope not to meet me down a dark alley.

For these reasons and because it is good practice you really need a
proper development platform that is divorced from your production one
and will allow you to replicate and fix these sorts of configuration
problems without effecting users. It does not even have to be physical
one in VM's will do. I have a Samba/GPFS/CTDB development platform on my
five year old laptop (admittedly it has had an SSD upgrade), so it is
perfectly possible.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.