[Samba] winbind bug?

Doug Tucker tuckerd at lyle.smu.edu
Thu Mar 27 10:13:07 MDT 2014

> Hi, if you read the man pages (hint, hint) they all seem to want you
> to use 'idmap config * : backend = tdb' and they all say that the
> ranges must not overlap, or as they put it 'disjoint ranges'.
>
> Rowland
LOL...Thanks for the reminder Rowland.  I have done nothing but read man
pages, several how-to's, and google google google trying to solve this.
I had zero idea what "disjoint ranges" meant.  My config I originally
got directly from several "how-to's" and modified from a user here that
sent me his config file that is "working" (his all overlap..heck, they
are all the same range).  I don't see in the man pages where it says you
have to use tdb..and searching online that seems to be a point of
confusion, not everyone agrees (again, that was the way I originally had
it, someone suggested to me I needed to change that to AD since I wasn't
using local users).  In fact, I would be one of those people posting my
existing config "as working"....if I never had any unix uid's over
11000.  And not to throw a wrench into that, but, even unix users over
11000 work just fine...on windows XP clients!  It ONLY fails with a unix
id > 11000 AND windows 7.

I have now changed the idmap config * : backend =tbd..my new config:

  idmap config * : backend = tbd
    idmap config * : range = 3000000 - 3100000
    idmap config SEAS:backend = rid
    idmap config SEAS:range = 1000 - 40000
    idmap config * : schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config SEAS-S:backend = rid
    idmap config SEAS-S:range = 40001 - 60000

There is no change, my results are exactly the same.  unix uid > 11000
no work, under 11000 works.