[Samba] allow insecure wide links

avh art at lsr.nei.nih.gov
Thu Mar 27 09:35:16 MDT 2014

Resolution:

1.) The file corruption issue that appeared with matlab when we upgraded to
OSX 10.9 has been owned by MathWorks.  They say it is a bug in matlab on the
Mac (it doesn't happen on the PC).  It's a timing issue, so anything that
changes the timing of reading and writing (such as upgrading to the new SMB2
client in 10.9) can expose it.

2.) We learned from Apple that with Samba 3.6 the new client in 10.9 won't
negotiate to use SMB2 unless you add "max protocol = SMB2" to smb.conf.
This is even when you mount using "smb://" instead of "cifs://".  Note there
doesn't seem to be an quick way to discover whether one is using SMB1 or
SMB2 (from either the client or server side) without looking at traces.

3.) We also learned from Apple that their SMB1 client will not follow wide
links when "unix extensions = yes" even if "allow insecure wide links =
yes".  They feel this is a feature, not a bug and have no plans to change
this.