[Samba] Compile kernel with Xeon instructions was: suggestions for a "fast" fileserver - 1G / 10G - focus on smb.conf/samba

Peter Serbe peter at serbe.ch
Thu Mar 27 07:52:37 MDT 2014

Hi Oscar,

this is pretty easy. I took advice from here:

http://www.tecmint.com/kernel-compilation-in-debian-linux/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tecmint+%28Tecmint%3A+Linux+Howto%27s+Guide%29

In the menuconfig browse to "Processor Type and Features", there You
can check the "Core 2/newer Xeon" option.
To the best of my knowledge the default gcc version should do. On my
Jessie box I happened to find gcc 4.8.2. But I have a hard time, thinking
that the gcc version shipped with Wheezy wasn't able to compile it just
as good.

Best regards
Peter