[Samba] suggestions for a "fast" fileserver - 1G / 10G - focus on smb.conf/samba

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Wed Mar 26 04:58:07 MDT 2014

Le Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:54:29 -0700 vous écriviez:

> It usually allows you to attach a remote SCSI device to a client such
> that the client sees it as a local disk.   If the client sees it as
> local, why would
> one use samba...

Actually for file shaing it would need a cluster file system, such as
Stornext and friends... Not exactly easy, nor cheap (unless your
machines are all Linux and can use GFS or OCFS).

> If your servers are using iscsi and then re-exporting them to clients
> via samba... um...that will be very likely to cause a performance hit.

Yes, that's why I asked what's the disk performance like on the SMB
server side. If already the server reads/writes slowly, samba won't
speed anything up.

As a side note, Götz, you definitely want write-back on the iSCSI side.
It's terribly unsafe, but that's the only way to get decent performance
from an iSCSI storage backend.