[Samba] suggestions for a "fast" fileserver - 1G / 10G - focus on smb.conf/samba

gcarter at aesgi.com gcarter at aesgi.com
Tue Mar 25 09:50:04 MDT 2014

My suggestion would be to take a look at the latest kernels.

Don't forget, just recently added to the LINUX kernel has been better threaded
I/O, and the ability to treat block devices as assisted cache facilities.

First thing I would do is download 3.13.7 (Just released).

Secondly, don't use the binary RPM's with the distro.  They are generic
architecturally speaking.

Use the latest GCC stack, and use XEON instruction optimizations to compile and
build the binary and kernel.

Secondly, I would implement block device caching.

For directed I/O and Network I/O I got a good 20% performance boost all around
just doing nothing with my existing Samba config and implementing the above.

That was significant and you will notice bigger gains the more people you have
accessing your Samba server (i.e. In this case a server that has about 300 users
at any given time.).

Also, make sure you have a good spread on your APIC.

If you see all of your interrupts going through processor 0, your operating
system kernel is not using the hardware efficiently.

Make sure your APIC is working, and you got good interrupt load spread across
the PCIXpress backplane/bus between your Network card, Memory, and SATA/SCSI
controllers.

Building a professional SAMBA system goes way beyond the smb.conf file,
unfortunately.

But hopefully these are some tips to help you get started.

-gc