[Samba] suggestions for a "fast" fileserver - 1G / 10G - focus on smb.conf/samba

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Tue Mar 25 08:17:30 MDT 2014

Le Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:14:06 +0100 vous écriviez:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for all the feedback and topics.
>
> May be I can/should draw a better picture of my settings and question.
>
> We "still" use samba 3.6.9-167 from Red Hat with an openldap backend.

That shouldn't be a problem, really.

> I tried from an older posting somewhere:
>
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536
> SO_SNDBUF=65536

Normally these are not necessary. In particular I'm pretty sure
enforcing buffer size can do more harm than good.

> We have some reliable, fast hardware SATA ISCSI raid boxes with min.
> 12 disks, most are 16 disks, configured in raid  10, 5, 6 depending
> on the use case and date stored. (e.g. lots of smaller r/w, some are
> big files min. some Gig.)
><...>
>
> So what can speed up smb?

What is the disk subsystem performance like from the samba
server point of view? Do you use the nobarrier/barrier=0 option on the
shared filesystem?